Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Red Light....Green Light

I was sadly mistaken this is my true 30th blog. I had a non-published blog that made it seem like I had more blogs than I actually did.

Well today was graduation rehearsal, and for a good chunk of it was a waste of time. I've always wondered why they tell graduates to tell our families to be not too loud. Did they forget that most of them have waited over 4 years for this moment, and some of them probably took out a second mortgage to put that child through college.Personally I would bring a whole marching band with me if it were my kid graduating.

Anyways I was driving to rehearsal and for the first time I wasn't in a hurry to get to my destination. I was probably going below speed limit. I took the normal route, and exited MacGregor. I turned on my blinkers to get on North from South, and I saw that the light I usually stop at is green. Any other day I would speed towards that green light, and make a turn just as it went from yellow to red. As I mentioned before I was in no hurry today. I saw the green light and kept driving as slow as possible. Usually this light turns colors very quickly, but today as I approached it, it stayed green through out. I was about to make the turn way before it turned yellow. As I made another turn headed towards Blodgett, I had to smile because I realized that light represented so much of my life. Usually every morning I'm rushing to make that light because I don't want to get stuck at the red light. In the process of doing so I catch it midway between yellow and red. But today I drove without a care in the world, and told myself I will let nature take it's course, and it's like nature waited for me.

Far too often we rush after our goals because we don't want to pump a brake in our plans. We rush, and catch the yellow light transitioning to red. We know it's not good because your car was rushed, and you know the turn could have been much smoother instead of things flying all over your backseat and purse on the floor. But we do it anyways...then there are moments like today....when you say..."hey I'll get there when I get there...no rush" It's like the whole world kind of waits for you saying...okay it's your turn...you make that turn...no flying object in the car, and no feeling of rush.

My life needs to be more about those moments where I am just taking it easy, instead of rushing through it and not enjoying the the ride along the way. I mean who cares if I have to sit at the red light for a few mins or not as long as I arrive at my destination right? Plus something tells me my car will be very thankful if I do less of that.

So guys and girls, and kids of all ages this is my prayer request: Pray that I don't rush through life, and end up missing what I needed to learn along the way. Pray that I always see it's not how fast I get to my destination, but getting there in one piece that matters the most, and more over I accomplished what I really needed to accomplish. So that's that ladies and gentlemen...that's the lesson God taught me today....through a simple traffic light. It was worth wasting my time at grad rehearsal.

1 comment:

  1. Lol Amen and Amen. So very true Ms. Kuruvilla. Besides... not gonna see that light as much anymore after this week. Take it allll in. I think everyone can say that prayer too. Good stuff! =)

    ReplyDelete