Saturday, November 27, 2010

Rant # 1

Okay so there's a few things I want to talk about, and I will try to touch on these things without making this into a book. They will be broken down ....so here is Rant #1:

My Culture Is More Than A Fashion Statement

OK I'm not the most traditional person you will come across. I'm what most may describe me as culturally exposed. I mean for petes sake I have a set of Indian parents, a set of black parents, couple of Black, Indian, and Hispanic siblings so on and so forth. I personally consider myself a well rounded individual as far as race is concerned, and pretty flexible with it. However, few things that highly bothers me is when the Western culture makes my culture just a fashion statement. Oh and that question "why don't you wear that dot on your head?". Unfortunately people of my culture lets the Western culture get away with it, because they have this weird need to please the Western race. A Sari is more than a fashion statement people, it is a traditional outfit. Henna is more than temporary tattoo, those designs have meaning behind it. OH and one more thing...just cause I am Indian does not mean I was converted to Christianity you close minded fool. Christianity still exist heavily in the Southern part of India.

Please don't get me wrong I love it when people are curious about other cultures, and try out new things. However, it bothers me heavily when cultures are used for fashion statement, and it doesn't even stay true to its form. It always has to get some sort of Western twist to it...have some sort of "sex" appeal. By the time all is said and done all that's left from that culture would be just the material used to make this fashion statement, everything else has been distorted thanks to sex appeal,and fashion statement. Case and point...pussycat dolls as pictured below


For the most part three out of the five are wearing the sari as it was meant to be worn, and the short blonde...I'll kind of let her slide because I know the newer generation tries to switch it up even in India, but the other one...ummmm HUH??? Oh and what's the deal with the push up bras??? I've worn a sari once in my life, but I have seen it on many folks both young and old alike, but none of them were sporting a push up bra looking blouse underneath...smh Of course some people might look at it as Hollywood is embracing Bollywood.....I look at it as...STOP USING MY CULTURE FOR YOUR SEX APPEAL FASHION STATEMENT...thank you!!! That pretty much ends rant # 1 which leaves me with rant # 2 soon to follow, and reminiscing of blogger...Stay tuned, and till next time..adios!!

No comments:

Post a Comment