Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Toss Up....


My Houston mom makes one of the best salads I have ever had. She adds all kinds of simple ingredients to make it so good, and always finds the perfect dressing to go with any occasion. She'll have nuts, raisins, craisins, avocados, and this one particular spring mix she buys from Kroger. When making her salads she prefers to buy that mix over any other. The leafs are a mixture of red, green, and this slightly bitter leaf. Last night after getting home I decided to eat one of her salads, and lucky for me there was just enough left for one more serving. I piled it on, and added some more craisins,and warmed up my stew. As I started eating my salad I bit down on one of the bitter leafs I chewed for a bit more and I bit down on a craisin. Biting down on the craisin completely cancelled out the taste of the bitter leaf, and in a way enhanced that leafs taste. As I sat there finishing up my salad I thought "funny how life is a whole lot like this salad". There's always going to moments of bitter, but there's also a moment of joy or sweetness to cancel out that bitter moment in life. It's totally up to you which taste you want to focus on. Even if I didn't get a craisin in that particular bite I know somewhere in that bowl there was one,and it's not like that bitter leaf was going to kill me or anything. If anything that bitter leaf was building up my immune system just like bitter moments build up character. 

1 comment:

  1. Bueno!! I gotta admit, the Title itself really grasped my attention. I was like... "The Toss Up?" Hmmmmm... Lol

    ReplyDelete